Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Boxer

Paul Simon is no stranger to writing masterpiece songs.  The Boxer is no exception.  There are a couple of verses that I think fit the recent spirit:

I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told 
I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises 
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear 
And disregards the rest (hmmmm....mmmm......) 

and

Now the years are rolling by me, they are rockin' even me 
I am older than I once was, and younger than I'll be, that's not unusual 
No it isn't strange, after changes upon changes, we are more or less the same 
After changes we are more or less the same ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-YgA4WSWUA&noredirect=1

4 comments:

  1. "All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..." Age and supposed wisdom don't seem to change this quality in us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these years and I thought Dylan wrote that song-----I loved the Dylan rendition

      Delete
  2. I just looked that one up. 1968. Wow, another paean from the Flower Kids! I posted before, that era did have one good thing, music. I'm a huge fan of that genre. Love the rock. Here are two interesting snippets that are soooo eeriely appropos:

    http://www.elyrics.net/read/t/temptations-lyrics/ball-of-confusion-lyrics.html c.1969

    "Evolution, revolution, gun control, sound of soul
    Shooting rockets to the moon, kids growing up too soon
    Politicians say more taxes will solve everything
    And the band played on"

    http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/creedence+clearwater+revival/wholl+stop+the+rain_20034319.html c.1970

    "Five year plans and new deals wrapped in golden chains."

    Over 40 years ago. Who new? Age, wisdom AND experience don't appear to have changed some things, huh?

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent selections Jean. The older you get, the less surprised you are that history actually does repeat itself. You wish it could be different, but people are people...

      Delete