Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mother of Slain State Dept. Official Tired of Being Lied To and Stonewalled by Obama Administration

The mother of State Department official Sean Smith, who was killed September 11, 2012 in the terrorist attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, appeared on CNN this evening.

Here's the computer generated rush transcript:

ANDERSON COOPER: Good evening. We begin tonight with a mother who is asking the toughest question a mother can. Why is my son dead? That is all Pat Smith wants to know. Her son, Sean Smith one of the Americans killed in the attack in Benghazi on September 11th, a month after, she watched her son's casket come off a cargo plane, a month after she says promised her answers, she says she is still waiting to hear. Still waiting for answers. Waiting for a call. Congress held hearings today. We'll talk about that shortly, but first, my conversation with Sean Smith's mom, Pat. I appreciate you being with us. I'm so sorry for your loss. What do you want people to know about Sean?

PAT SMITH: So good. He was my only child. He was good at what did and he loved it.

COOPER: He loved working with computers?

SMITH: Computers, radios.

COOPER: Did he always do that? Was he always good with computers?

SMITH: We'll, when he was a kid, computers weren't out yet. And then they were out and I got a computer and he started showing me how you could build a flame thrower by watching a computer and that is how it started.

COOPER: He lived in the Netherlands were you able to communicate a lot. Did you all ways know where he was?

SMITH: When he told me. For example, this time he was in the Hague and that is where he was stationed. He was supposed to be there for about two years. And then he would transfer to some place else. I did not know he was going to be in Libya.

COOPER: Did he ever talk about the job? Dangers that came along with his he service in Iraq as well.

SMITH: Yes, in fact I still have it on my computer where he sent me, this thing he was in working in the palace over there.

COOPER: In Baghdad.

SMITH: Yeah, in Baghdad, and he says, got to go, and suddenly he just disappeared and I said what is happening over there. And he said listen. And suddenly I heard boom. They were shooting at him.

COOPER: You must have worried a lot.

SMITH: When that was over. I can't spend my life worrying about it. I accepted what he wanted to do.

COOPER: I want to play for our viewers what President Obama said about your son when he returned home.

BARACK OBAMA: Sean Smith it seems lived to serve. First in the Air Force and then with you in the State Department. There in Benghazi he surely thought of Heather and Samantha and Nathan and he laid down his life in service to us all. Today, Sean is home.

COOPER: he's mentioning his wife and childr. when you heard the president say that, what did you think?

SMITH: this is the first time i heard the president say that.

COOPER: it is really?

SMITH: yes, he never told me that, he knew he was in a bunch of scary places. i didn't expect him to get blown up and to die.

COOPER: do you feel that you know what happened or are you still searching for answers. have you been in contact with the state department?

SMITH: that is a funny subject. i begged them to tell me what happened. i said i want to know all the details all of the details no matter what it is and i'll make up my own mind on it. and all the big shots over there told me that they promised me that they would tell me what happened. as soon as they figure it out. no one not one person has ever, ever gotten back to me other than media people and the gaming people

2 comments: