Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Is variety the spice of life?

Well, I realize it's summer and people might be doing better things ( I hope so anyway), but I feel like I've noticed a bit of a pattern that goes back to the MW days, namely that more conservative types seem to like to stick to newsgroups where everyone more or less says the same thing. Before Carol started a spin off of US POL (or whatever it was called) I felt like the tenor of that original group had reached a level of serious anger. Of course, one man's perception of hate is always another man's perception of just calling a spade a spade (see what I did there), but regardless of whether you call it hate or not, I think it's fair to say that that group became a bastion of homogeneity. Every once in awhile I would peak back in there and saw that the posts really never changed, at least, the content never changed.

I've said before the reason I come here and not some left leaning site is precisely because so many of you disagree with me. Deep down, I see much less division than folks claim, but when it comes to labels of conservative, liberal, etc, that seems to be the point where people really dig in and claim some major difference. Perhaps division is comforting/empowering? From religion to politics, I've always been wary to be in groups where people think the same way. The more people think they all agree, the less willing they become to challenge each other on stories/theories/assumptions that might be completely false. Part of why I keep coming to a site like this one is because it forces me (somewhat) to be informed and honest about what I express. The good/bad thing about the net is that no matter what your belief is, you can find SOMETHING that supports it. Whether those sources of support are credible sources is another story. Be that as it may, being challenged to support my opinions with something rational keeps me looking things up and shockingly, I discovered that I will not die if I find that a particular belief is based on something false.

I post here a lot because my workweek is Sat, Sun and Mon and I have considerable time during the week to post. For the moment though, it seems like things are getting quiet. Are people just bored or does everyone feel like they have expressed themselves and there's not much left to say?

1 comment: