Tuesday, August 27, 2013

California trying to strike out tax-exempt status for Little League, ‘discriminatory’ groups


A California bill that could strip tax-exempt status from Little League, the Boy Scouts of America and other “discriminatory” nonprofit youth-serving groups could come up for a final vote this week.
The first-of-its-kind bill, SB 323, passed the California Senate and sailed through Assembly committees to a floor vote, possibly this week.


But opponents are taking heart that there might not be enough votes in the state Assembly to pass the bill.
The chamber did not consider the bill in its Monday session, but may take it up when it convenes Friday.
The bill, introduced by State Sen. Ricardo Lara, names the Boy Scouts, Little League, Future Farmers of America and 19 other organizations as examples of groups that could be stripped of their tax-exempt status if found to discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, race, religion or religious affiliation.
The measure also threatens tax-exempt status for public and private schools found to sponsor discriminatory youth groups. One critic said it could even threaten an exemption status held by a church.
“Traditional values regarding heterosexuality are being branded as the legal equivalent of racism, and so there’s the quite genuine fear that the tax code really is the battleground against the traditional churches,” said Alan Reinach, executive director of Church State Council, which opposes SB 323.
“It’s not about ‘live and let live.’ If the churches do not conform to the values of homosexuality, then we will lose our standing in society,” he said.


11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is this an issue in the land of Boys using the girls bathroom and girls using the boys bathroom so they can feel more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the exemption of Angie and a few others, California is full of perverts and gays. Screw 'um. I hope that the few conservatives/libertarians leave the state and it rattles into the Pacific. Hopefully it will float long enough to slam Hawaii into the ocean as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gottaloveit,

      You don't think very highly of Californians in general, yes? Sorry, I just wasn't clear.

      Jean

      Delete
    2. Well I left in 1962 and never went back except for a class reunion (where I had little in common except for a couple of old dear friends) and several PCS pass throughs.

      Delete
    3. Jean,
      Look at the kooks the people of California elect. 'Nuff said.

      Delete
    4. Gootaloveit, are you sure you want Hawaii and California "wiped off of the face of the map"? Sounds like you don't like to eat vegetables and fruit since that's where most of the stuff comes from.

      Delete
  4. I used to live just down the road from a "mega church". The main building alone covered almost 5 acres. The pastor had a TV show and took in millions of dollars each week from the faithful. The church itself housed an Olympic swimming pool, tennis courts, basketball courts and several auditoriums, in addition to the main sanctuary. My question is: why on earth should such an obvious money making enterprise have tax exempt status?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick
      My question is: why on earth should such an obvious money making enterprise have tax exempt status?

      LOOKS To Me someone should consider removing tax exempt from the AARP.

      Delete
    2. so if too much comes in the government is entitled to by your logic.... now that is messed up... the government is there to serve the people not the other way around.

      Delete
  5. Let me tell you how it will be,
    There’s one for you, nineteen for me,
    ‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
    Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
    Should five per cent appear too small,
    Be thankful I don’t take it all.
    ‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
    Yeah, I’m the Taxman.

    (If you drive a car ), I’ll tax the street,
    (If you try to sit ), I’ll tax your seat,
    (If you get too cold ), I’ll tax the heat,
    (If you take a walk ), I’ll tax your feet.
    Taxman.

    ‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
    Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
    Don’t ask me what I want it for
    (Haha! Mister Wilson!)
    If you don’t want to pay some more
    (Haha! Mister Heath!),
    ‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
    Yeah, I’m the Taxman.


    Now my advice for those who die, (Taxman!)
    Declare the pennies on your eyes, (Taxman!)
    ‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
    Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
    And you’re working for no-one but me,
    (Taxman).


    ReplyDelete