Friday, July 31, 2015

A Dilemma

This will probably surprise no one here, but I am appalled by the case of the Dentist from Minnesota who went to Zimbabwe to kill a lion purely for sport. I simply don't understand the desire to hunt something down and kill it. It's not an even contest, and when you have to wait a day and half for the animal to die from the wounds, I'd say you aren't even giving the animal a chance to see whether it can best you. To then keep the head of the animal as a "trophy" suggest to me major, major psychological issues. After all, this is also the behavior of serial killers. I suppose those who hunt and eat what they kill are in a slightly different category and though I'm not a huge fan of that either, I kind of get it. This asshole, however, seems to do it just to feel.........something when he kills a wild animal.

Right now, his practice, his livelihood is being destroyed by protestors. From the looks of it, I don't think he could step anywhere near his practice right now, and one report said he shut it down. Looking at the protestors outside of his office, I actually was kind of reminded of what it looks like outside of abortion clinics. Abortion is legal, and on the surface, what this guy did is legal, repugnant as it may be. Now, he is on the run and though nobody would probably go through with it, I bet he has had his life threatened. The outrage and very aggressive response to this guy might actually prompt enough uncomfortable scrutiny that something is done to end the barbaric practice of big game hunting. Judging from how abortion opposers operate, it seems like they hope for basically the same thing.

Does the end justify the means?

10 comments:

  1. Depends on context. He didn't kill just any lion. He killed a famous lion named Cecil. Read a blurb that Zimbabwe is actually looking to extradite the dentist.

    As to your question regarding justification, I couldn't say. I would point out that it's the price we pay in the brave new world we live in. Social Media spurs outrage, both justified or ginned up. Everybody's got eyes on everybody. If you do something like kill a famous lion and post it on your FB page, know that you may get protests, fair or foul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, using the word context to respond to me is almost flirtation. But in the spirit of context, someone i heard talking about this made a good point, why is it important when the lion has a name and not important when he doesn't? I'm willing to believe he didn't go there to kill a famous lion, but on the other hand, why should it matter? Why does some asshole need to kill an exotic wild animal and keep a trophy of it? I suppose it's better he's killing an animal instead of a human being, but not by much.

      Everybody does seem to have eyes on them. Thank God my aimless rantings here are likely nothing I'm going to ever have to explain. I would hope I could still pull a few votes out of this crowd here if I ever run for office. ;>

      Delete
    2. Lol. I'd vote for ya, Mike - in exchange for a cushy gig at State, like Ambassador to Fiji or someplace else where my daily dress is a bikini and flip-flops.

      I meant context in general in addressing your "ends justifying the means" question.

      With regard to the tale of Cecil & The Dentist, the only reason it was such a big story is because Cecil was a famous symbol of national pride for Zimbabwe. Cecil has a name and a well documented back story that includes his family. I may be wrong about this, but if it was a dentist who killed some random lion, it probably wouldn't get nearly as much play in the news and on social media. Cecil had been "humanized". He may have been flamed a bit on FB by displaying a random lion, but I think he really stepped in it when he killed a famous animal who has a name. That's kinda what made it a big story. Not saying that it's right, just that it is.

      Delete
    3. I'll trade you one mounted lion head for the three hundred and twenty seven thousand crushed baby skulls by PP last year.

      Delete
    4. Oh I got what you meant Mistress and I totally agree, by giving him a name he gets humanized. I kinda understand killing something and eating it, but this stuff that goes on Africa is just pure slaughter. If he did this to humans, he would be a bonafide serial killer, but we allow the behavior if it is an animal. In an animal context it's okay, against other humans, not so much.

      William,
      I don't celebrate the number of abortions that occur. I read a quote from a nun the other day that I'm sure you would refute, but essentially, she called out the pro-life as basically being pro-birth and nothing more because they don't want a dime of their tax money spent on schools or on public assistance. You are easy to troll and frequently erupt on me with personal attacks, and no worries, I don't lose sleep over that. Still, little in your comments suggests to me you really give a damn about anyone who fails to live up their full, invisible hand potential. You and TS make frequent blames of how the government ruins everything, and that's great until we actually look at what happens in the real world. If you showed me any kind of sign that you actually care about the common man, as you once claimed, I might be more sympathetic to your comments on abortion.

      Delete
    5. Read the Declaration, Constitution, and Bill of Rights Max. I believe in them. You believe in any progressive wet dream that you care to imagine.

      Delete
    6. What I believe is generally what I see right in front of me. I believed fervently at one time in a lot of the things you preach today. Then I found the flaw in the model that it took Greenspan 40 years to figure out. Keep the blinders on, life is much simpler that way.

      Delete
    7. Tell me Max. During which week of pregnancy does the fetus obtain it's soul? You're the medical expert.

      Delete
  2. At least if the lion had been an American lion it would have had the protection of the second amendment. '''''''''the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'''''''. I like the second for the first time ever; give another lion a gun and let him hunt the damn fool dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about dress him in a lion suit and turn him loose to be hunted down by his fellow morons.

    ReplyDelete